Friday, January 4, 2013

No Sew Barbie Dresses

Have I ever mentioned how much I dislike sewing? Well, I only sew if I absolutely have to...same with ironing...but I'm getting off topic.
I've never been a fan of barbie dolls, but Danica has somehow accumulated quite a collection of them, and some came with pretty skimpy outfits. I didn't want to go out and buy barbie clothes...and I sure didn't want to sew any, so I came up with a simple solution. Sock dresses. I had a few pairs of colorful socks to experiment with.
Here's what we did:
  1. Cut a hole in the center of the toe with a v-shape in the front
  2. Cut two small holes for the arms
  3. Cut the sock off above the heel
  4. Cut the heel part out completely
The toe end of the sock is the top, and the top part becomes a skirt. We made two 'Frog Princess' dresses, and two purple dresses.
Barbies in new Sock Dresses
Showing the two Piece Outfits
 We tried making a dress from a pair of plush socks, and it turned out pretty, but it frays too easily.
Plush Sock Dress
 
So, now that we know what we're doing, I think we'll look for some pretty socks at the dollor store! Danica's barbies are going to have a huge new wardrobe!

2 comments:

  1. Very resourceful, Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks very smart, too bad I don't won any barbies. :0) Happy 2013

    ReplyDelete